Roulette is a very old game that was first invented in France during the 17th century. Slowly but surely it became a staple of any respectable casino and nowadays is one of the most popular casino games around. Whether it’s the spinning wheel and the bouncing ball or simply the sheer joy of winning big, Roulette is here to stay. Here are some helpful terms that are used around the Roulette table and that you might find helpful.
- this type of wheel has a total of 38 numbers: 0, 00, 1-36.
- the small plastic ball that is thrown into the roulette wheel in the opposite direction of the wheel. When the ball finally lands on a numbered pocket, it will determine the payoff for each spin.
- when you bet on all the black numbers.
- a specific set of numbers on a section of the wheel, usually bet as a group in a lot of Roulette strategies.
- corner bet (French)
- column bet (French)
- betting on a group of twelve numbers at the same time, usually grouped together by the 3 columns that make up the roulette table
- when a player uses one or more chips in the same position to bet on more than one number at the same time
- placing one wager on four numbers simultaneously, paying 8:1
- one roll, one decision
- the casino employee who runs the Roulette table
- betting on the 00 number
- betting on a group of three numbers: 1-12, 13-24, 25-36
- this is also known as a French Wheel
- placing a bet on all the even numbers, with a payoff of 1:1
Five Number Bet
- betting on the numbers 0, 00, 1, 2, 3 at the same time, giving the casino a 7.89% edge
- a roulette wheel which has just one zero
- the zero and double zero
- this is the advantage that the house has over the player
- a bet on six numbers which are next to each other, payoff of 5:1
- the numbers next to the winning number to its left and right
- betting on all of the odd numbers, payoff of 1:1
- when you bet on anything but the numbers – red, black, even, odd, high, low, columns and so on
- betting on only one number with a possible payoff of 35:1
Square or Quarter Bet
- betting on a square of four numbers, payoff of 8:1
- a bet on any three numbers in a line, payoff of 11:1
- tipping the dealer
- these are the unique unmarked chips used solely for Roulette tables
- betting on the 0 number with a payoff of 35:1
Next time you find yourself at a Roulette table and are finding it hard to understand the lingo that people are using, remember this article and give it a look if you need to refresh your memory on the general terminology used around the Roulette table.